Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Ethnic Relations Forum at the SCAH

I am invited to speak at the Youth 4 Change forum on the ethnic relations module this evening at the Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall. The forum starts at 8pm. Details as follow:

Alternative Course on Ethnic Relationship Module: Effectiveness and Challenges to Establish Close Ethnic Relationship
Topic : Voice of Youth on Ethnic Relations Module
Date : 13 March 2007 (Tuesday)
Time : 8pm-10pm
Venue: Auditorium, Selangor Chinese Assembly Hall (SCAH), No. 1 Jalan Maharajarela. (Near Maharajarela Monorail Station)

Panelists:
1. Mr. Khoo Kay Peng
2. Mr. Ramadhan Fitri Ellias (Former President for Student Representative Council, University Malaya)
3. Mr. Mohd. Nazree bin Mohd. Yunus (President of Solidarity Mahasiswa Malaysia (SMM)

Although I am listed as an executive director of Sedar Institute. I would like to clarify that I will be speaking in my capacity as a young and patriotic Malaysian. Obviously, I am looking forward to the talk but I am not too sure if I will be able to present to you something you don't already know.

To forge a better interethnic relationship, we need to end racial politics. This is the first thing that must go. Otherwise, the efforts and money spent on the national service programme and the ethnic relations module will be wasted.

Racial politics is the main cause of racial polarisation in this country. The politicians might not want to admit this but it is a hard fact that we must learn to accept. We cannot hope to become a first world society if we continue with our racial politics.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Saudara Khoo,

do you think you can get hold a copy of what the ethnic relation module is all about ? I am more than happy to make them into a pdf format for re-distribution to general public who are denied the chance of reading it.

langchiapek@gmail.com

Khoo Kay Peng said...

I believe the Ministry of Higher Education or ATMA might be putting the whole module up on the web soon. I will notify you once the document is available. Thanks.