Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Pasar Malam (Night Market) Retail Culture



Another retail complex is following the foot step of Komtar, the Berjaya One-Stop Complex located at Jalan Burmah. The former was an icon of Penang's economic stature but today a rundown eyesore.

Once, one of the tallest buildings in Malaysia and the pride of Penang the complex is reduced to an eyesore. Many retail outlets have moved out of the complex to an adjacent complex, the Prangin Mall which is slowly showing a sign of poor maintenance.

The Berjaya One-Stop Complex was my one of my favourite shopping complexes. I went back to the complex yesterday with my mom and a visiting guest from Taiwan. It is turning into another pasar malam filled with traders lining up their products around the main concourse.

Meanwhile, many shops have since closed down due to poor maintenance and poor crowd.

This is yet another sad story for Penang's retail sector.

4 comments:

koolgeek said...

Years ago, I used to sit at the Starbucks for long hours on weekend when I stayed at the hotel for work. It was a very nice atmosphere back then. They could have turned that place into a good spot for social hangouts. Sad to hear it has come to this.

Khoo Kay Peng said...

Yup, I am sad too. It is in such a sorry state now.

Anonymous said...

KayPeng,

I have a business plan to convert Komtar into Swallow Next harvesting complex, are you interested to partner in my business ? ;)

LangChiaPek
langchiapek@gmail.com

Khoo Kay Peng said...

Why don't you send your proposal to the state PDC?