A Malay proverb explains it all: "Cakap Tak Serupa Bikin" or "Action Does Not Match The Deed". This is the first time I am hearing a new interpretation of "ketuanan Melayu" from the horse's mouth, UMNO President Abdullah Badawi.
Malay supremacism is a notion promoted and practiced by UMNO leaders to position the party as a dominant party in the race-based coalition BN.
In The Star today, Abdullah said "The definition of ketuanan Melayu (Malay supremacy) is not about the Malays being in a position to dominate, rule over and force their power upon other races." He said Malay supremacy meant that the Malays, as the indigenous people in Malaysia, needed to strengthen themselves to ensure they were successful and developed.
Why then was MIC's Sothinathan reprimanded and suspended when he spoke up against the Crimea Medical University issue? Why was Gerakan's S.Paranjothy severely warned and criticized when he spoke up about the marginalisation of Indian community? Why must UMNO Youth and some senior leaders warned other communities not to question Malay rights? Why should UMNO dominate more than 75% of Cabinet positions? The list goes on....And...the bullying tactics continued...Minister of Tourism Azalina Othman refused to work with tourism councils in the PR controlled states. Since BN only obtained 52% popular votes, then Azalina's ministry allocation should reflect the ratio. The rest of the 48% should go to the PR controlled states, afterall all Malaysians paid taxes.
Minister of Entrepreneur Development Noh Omar is another bad apple. He wanted to channel the RM100 million development funds to MARA, which is seen as a Malay-Bumiputera institution. Is Noh a minister of a single race only? His ministry allocation should be deducted accordingly.
Is UMNO willing to accept and embrace all component parties in BN as equals? No one will quarrel if the BN government allocates resources to help the poor regardless of race and especially the rural poor Malays. But the notion of Malay supremacism was used to promote a feudal power hierarchy in UMNO vis-a-vis other parties. This is not acceptable.
We want UMNO to do as it says. Rhetoric alone is cheap and available in abundance.
Picture courtesy of The Star Online.