PAS Nizar's victory in Bukit Gantang is the clearest signal to the BN to call for snap elections immediately to return the right to the people of Perak to choose their legitimate government.
The coup MUST end now. There are still recalcitrants among the UMNO state leadership. Perak Umno secretary Ramly Zahari insisted that the outcome of the polls did not justify the call for state elections. He said the non-Malays voted strongly for PAS because of the populist policies of the PR-led state government including awarding permanent land titles to new villagers.
Ramly does not speak for all Perakians. Leaders like will ensure the slide of an UMNO led government in the country.
There are several reasons for PR's bigger victory:
1) The choice of candidate. I had opined that Nizar was the best choice for PAS. Nizar's selection has turned this election into a referendum on Perak's power grab.
2) BN is not yet on the mend. Najib's premiership does not enjoy the immediate goodwill like Abdullah's
3) The harsh underhand tactics used by the BN government to grab power were not well received by the people
4) It was a referendum on Nizar's performance as the MB. He had served well. This track record has ensured his victory.
5) Non-UMNO component parties cannot rely on Najib alone to reverse their fortune. Their influence on the non-Malay communities is limited and weak.
The most significant implication of this victory is the desire of the people for REAL change. They have voted for a real and permanent change. This is something no spin doctors in Najib's administration can provide. Najib should sack all his spin doctors including a popular blogger. Get real reformists and anak Malaysia to do the work.
Bukit Gantang is the most significant of the 3 by-elections. It does not augur well for Najib.