The only word to describe the latest financial scandal in Sarawak is UNBELIEVABLE!
The Sarawak Cabinet has ordered an internal investigation into claims made by the Malaysian Anti-Corruption Commission (MACC) that up to 60% of government allocations — running into billions of ringgit — meant for vital infrastructure projects between 2002 and 2008 have been misappropriated.
MACC investigations showed that only 40% of the money set aside by the Government were spent on the projects. The remaining 60% were said to have been “leaked elsewhere.”
1) The financial scandal has taken 7 years long to catch the attention of the state government.
2) There is no check-and-balance mechanism to ensure that there is accountability and transparency in public expenditure.
Deputy Chief Minister George Chan said, lamely,"“This is government money that comes from taxpayers. If indeed funds from the Government meant for projects for the rakyat and the poor had been misappropriated, the state government wants action taken.” George and his cabinet should apologize to the people of Sarawak for their sheer incompetency.
3) It is a shame to find a large segment of Sarawakians, especially the indigenous people, are living under the established poverty line
It is shameful for the state government to order its internal audit department to investigate the misappropriations after it was tipped off by the MACC. Officers in the department should be sacked for sleeping on their job in the last 7 years.
This is a symptom of a chronic governance and a third world government.