Malaysia Insider asks, "Is “Middle Malaysia” a new breed of voters who want more accountability from the government? Or is it merely political sloganeering?"
The focus on Middle Malaysia is crucial and apt for all political parties. But recent development suggests that Middle Malaysia is going to remain elusive to most political parties.
Middle Malaysia is not just a new breed of voters who seek for more accountability but practical voters who wanted their needs fulfilled and rights respected. How many political parties and politicians are sensitive to these needs and rights?
Irrelevant projects are still being undertaken, rights are still being trampled, and politicians are still acting like they know best.
For the new year, I had wished for those who were consumed by the arrogance of power and fame to be enlightened. How many times you have heard certain politicians became arrogant, unapproachable and unfriendly after being elected to power?
Politicians must remember that they need the support of Middle Malaysia to turn the game around and register an electoral advantage over their opponents. Those who occupied Middle Malaysia are rightly going to support good governance, responsible leadership, humility, good humanistic values and principles and moderation.
1Malaysia or Middle Malaysia, these slogans will remain mere slogans if politicians do not understand how to use the mandate entrusted to them to help serve and contribute positively to the society.
For now, Middle Malaysia is reek with confusion and despair over a lack of progress from both political divide.
To win over the Middle Malaysia, there are a few key success factors:
1) Politicians need to remain humble, accessible and open to criticism and suggestions.
2) Politics should be conducted positively to help democracy to flourish and nation to prosper.
3) Political parties must end race and all sectarian based politics.
4) Politicians should focus on serving the nation and society.
5) Politics can be ideas centric and policies should be adjusted and reviewed to benefit the nation.
6) Politicians must focus on addressing multifarious issues faced by the nation and not waste time on divisive and immature politicking.
Any more to add to the list?